road to change Are you ready to lose weight? Skip the fads and get research-based advice: weight loss tips, healthy eating guides, diet motivation, healthy recipes, fitness and exercise advice and more

 

Holiday Dieting? Forgetaboutit! By Pete A Turner

Hey it's the Holidays, Christmas, Chanukkah and New Years. It's a time of parties, cookies, rich desserts and all those comfort holiday meals.

Enjoying the holidays and don't worry about your diet. If you are like me your will power breaks down when you smell those holiday cookies or that pumpkin pie. I was doing okay and then my daughter dropped off some Christmas cookies and I ate four cookies before my brain finally kicked in and said STOP!! Do I feel guilty? Yes a little. Do I want another cookie? No, my sweet tooth seems satisfied at least for the time being.
There are some lessons here:

1. Enjoy the Season: Sure those four cookies were a little too much, but I got that out of my system and hopefully I won't be tempted again.

2. I balanced out the cookies by sticking to my normal diet and foods the rest of the day.

3. The sugar buzz I got after eating plus the sluggish feeling after the buzz made me appreciate the way I feel when I eat right.

4. Our bodies do need a break or rest and the holidays can help our bodies rebuild and restore as long as we don't over do the partying.

5. If you are like me, the holidays give me an even bigger reason to hit the gym and stick to my diet. It really affirms that the lifestyle I have chosen is right for me.

I believe the last statement about the right lifestyle is very important. At sixty-six years old I know more than ever that it is not about dieting or exercising. It is about lifestyle. Because I have chosen a healthy lifestyle and I am mindful of the food I eat and stay physically active I can enjoy a sugary treat now and then. Plus the deeper I go into this lifestyle the less I want those treats.

Here are a few tips that help me get pass the tempting holiday treats and let me enjoy the season.

1. Stick to your exercise routine. If you are traveling and staying with friends and or family bring your workout clothes. Take a run or a walk.

2. If you belong to a nationwide chain like Gold's Gym, find one close to where you are staying.

3. Staying at a hotel? Most have some exercise equipment available.

4. Pack exercise bands. I love these bands - they are light weight.

5. Eat light and save those calories for the party.

6. Have a protein snack before going to the party.

There are many ways to stay fit and still have a fun time. So enjoy the holidays, share the joy of the season with family and friends. Come January you will be ready to reach new heights of wellness!

The Pain Stops Here! You deserve relief from your aching back and to live pain free. There are alternatives to suffering and surgery. As someone who has suffered with debilitating back pain, I believe you owe it to yourself to know all the facts. For more FREE information, reports and videos on back pain and other wellness issues take the first step and Click Here
Coach Pete is a former teacher, athletic coach, entrepreneur and a proud grandfather. He is passionate about living life to the max. Coach Pete draws on his sixty-five years of living to help older men live active, healthy and rewarding lives.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Pete_A_Turner

Comments :

0 comments to “Holiday Dieting? Forgetaboutit! By Pete A Turner ”

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...