road to change Are you ready to lose weight? Skip the fads and get research-based advice: weight loss tips, healthy eating guides, diet motivation, healthy recipes, fitness and exercise advice and more

 

Weight Loss - What Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem Don't Tell You

I could lose weight easily in my teens and twenties. Lots of water and exercise and keeping total calories under control was all I really needed to focus on. When I was in my mid 30s, I put on about 20 pounds. I was working long hours and earning a good wage, so I decided to try out Nutrisystem. Long story short, the food isn't horrible. You avoid hunger pangs and cravings. I did not change my exercise routine which was mostly just walking at the time. I lost 4 pounds the first week, and for the next 12 weeks, I lost anywhere from 1 to 2 pounds a week. I needed to do some weight bearing exercise when I was at my target weight in order to tone up. This regimen worked for me and I was satisfied.

Jump ahead ten years. It was deja vu, at least at the beginning. I gained some weight. I started a Nutrisystem program, as before. But, this time, I did not lose any weight. In fact, I was gaining a little. I noticed I was gaining water weight around my fingers, ankles and even my mid-section. I looked at the sodium amounts and realized that was the problem. They were out of sight. Nutrisystem publishes what you will be taking in for sodium, daily, "The standard Nutrisystem program contains approximately 1,800 mg/daily sodium*." And, they add, " Lower sodium for some individuals may need to be less than 1,800 mg.".
* Jenny Craig is more 2,000 mg.

"Some" individuals?!! As you get older, it is not uncommon to need to begin to reduce your sodium intake. A number of people seem to become more sensitive to it. And, there are those who feel their blood pressure goes up when they ingest a good deal of sodium daily.

I haven't had to eliminate my sodium intake. But I most days I have only about 25% to 30% of what Nutrisystem lets you have. That is a big difference. And if your body is at all sensitive to salt, you will really feel and see the difference in your diet program results.

Effectively managing your salt intake is one of 10 incredibly simple but powerful steps defined in a program I created. I developed this out of necessity. I was middle aged. What worked before no longer would work. It took me many years using a lot of trial and error, before I figured out what would work now. The cool thing is that this program is really easy to follow and flexible. This way of eating will even work for people who don't like to diet or exercise as well as for those who have not been able to lose weight any other way. Last but not least, it doesn't cost you extra money. You are going to save the cash you would have spent on Nutrisystem prepackaged food.

The 10 steps are:
(1) Reduce your salt.
(2) Halve your carbs
(3) Eat these vegetables (raw cucumber and celery)
(4) Eat these fruits (Granny Smith Apples and white grapefruit)
(5) Drink enough water
(6) Reduce or eliminate certain sweeteners
(7) Evaluate preserved foods
(8) Reduce/eliminate dairy consumption and avoid bad fats
(9) Give yourself satisfying yet smart snacks
(10) Walk

Try just one step this week, you decide which one. When you are ready, add another step! Add another when you feel you are ready to until you take all 10. I think you will be very happy with the results! And you may feel this way well before you get to the 10th step!
Kathy writes about healthy eating & thinking and other topics in her blog, Wrapped beautifully as well as in e-books available at Amazon including http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Loss-In-Steps-ebook/dp/B00876V0LM
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Kathy_Morrison

Comments :

0 comments to “Weight Loss - What Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem Don't Tell You”

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...